- RSS Channel Showcase 6516667
- RSS Channel Showcase 4235246
- RSS Channel Showcase 9692705
- RSS Channel Showcase 4840160
Articles on this Page
- 10/03/13--15:16: _Contemporaneity and...
- 04/05/16--11:02: _Deering Estate Fest...
- 04/14/16--09:24: _THE SUBLIME THAT BE...
- 07/25/16--13:20: _Cut Up This Magazine
- 07/28/16--06:00: _New York – Derrick ...
- 08/04/16--14:09: _Retirement Opens Ne...
- 09/24/16--06:00: _Betye Saar: Uneasy ...
- 11/06/16--06:00: _Change from Within:...
- 12/26/16--16:59: _Dark Matter Sweet E...
- 04/26/17--04:34: _Scott Houston: Inca...
- 07/01/17--08:10: _Jewish Museum of Fl...
- 08/02/17--02:00: _GERARD CALISTE: DVC...
- 08/02/17--02:00: _Dominoes: Bones of ...
- 08/28/17--03:00: _Studio Visit: Steph...
- 08/28/17--08:29: _Studio Visit: Nadin...
- 09/18/17--06:00: _Fela Kuti: Life and...
- 10/07/17--10:00: _On Documentary Abst...
- 04/30/18--08:00: _Deborah Roberts – F...
- 10/03/13--15:16: Contemporaneity and Contemporary Art
- 04/05/16--11:02: Deering Estate Festival of the Arts – Intersections
- 07/25/16--13:20: Cut Up This Magazine
- 07/28/16--06:00: New York – Derrick Adams, Fred Tomaselli and others
- 08/04/16--14:09: Retirement Opens New Director Position
- 09/24/16--06:00: Betye Saar: Uneasy Dancer / Fondazione Prada, Milan
- 11/06/16--06:00: Change from Within: Kerry James Marshall
- 12/26/16--16:59: Dark Matter Sweet Earth
- 04/26/17--04:34: Scott Houston: Incarceration Inc.
- 07/01/17--08:10: Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU
- 08/02/17--02:00: GERARD CALISTE: DVCAI A.I.R.
- 08/02/17--02:00: Dominoes: Bones of Miami
- 08/28/17--03:00: Studio Visit: Stephen Arboite
- 08/28/17--08:29: Studio Visit: Nadine Hall
- 09/18/17--06:00: Fela Kuti: Life and Work, Somewhat
- 10/07/17--10:00: On Documentary Abstraction and the Art Practice of Tomashi Jackson
- 04/30/18--08:00: Deborah Roberts – From the mouths of our daughters
Some thoughts and words spoken have “the contemporary” as an overarching idea that has come up numerous times over the past 20 months. No one single person can answer this question but below are the writings of Terry Smith, a person that has written on the topic quite a bit over the past several years. […]
Saturday, April 16, 2016, from 3:30 pm to 10:00 pm Free & open to the public with Estate admission The Deering Estate presents Intersections – a thought-provoking exhibition of site-specific works by more than two dozen notable contemporary artists that bridge past and present, nature and the man-made. Part of the Deering Estate’s annual Festival […]
ONAJIDE SHABAKA It has only been within the past few years that people have come to know my art practice is connected to walking rural landscapes, gathering, or foraging edible plants or collecting geologic specimens. Sometimes I only photograph or draw these things. In the summer of 2014 I visited the Superior National Forest, in […]
She Will Probably Cut Up This Magazine Too: “How Wangechi Mutu snipped and clipped her way from Nairobi to the walls of the Brooklyn Museum.” (Via NY Mag>.)
New York Derrick Adams, Fred Tomaselli and Michael Anderson in Conversation at Jack Tilton Gallery by Michael Anderson: ” New York collage artist Derrick Adams, photo by Michael Anderson By MICHAEL ANDERSON and LEIGHANA WAIGHT, JUL. 2016 This conversation between collage artists Derrick Adams and Michael Anderson took place at Tilton Gallery,. . .” (Via […]
Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation Announces Retirement of Executive Director Alan W. CooperArts Consulting Group Engaged to Spearhead New Director Search Baltimore, MD – August 3, 2016 – Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation (MAAF) announced today that Executive Director Alan W. Cooper will retire effective May 2017. As Executive Director of the Foundation since 1994, Cooper has been […]
Betye Saar: Uneasy Dancer / Fondazione Prada, Milan: “Fondazione Prada in Milan (Italy) currently presents a comprehensive survey of work by the American artist Betye Saar. The exhibition is titled Uneasy Dancer. It’s the first show of Betye Saar in Italy. The exhibition is curated by Elvira Dyangani Ose and brings together over 80 works […]
Change from Within: Kerry James Marshall Corrects the Canon: Kerry James Marshall. Many Mansions, 1994. Acrylic and collage on unstretched canvas; 114 x 135 inches. Art Institute of Chicago, Max V. Kohnstamm Fund, 1995. Courtesy Jack Shainman Gallery, New York. “This previously unpublished text has been excerpted from an interview conducted with artist Kerry James Marshall in […]
GARY L. MOORE & CURTIS V. HODGE “DARK MATTER/SWEET EARTH” November, 2016 thru mid-January, 2017 ArtsUP Concepts, 521 NW First Ave., Fort Lauderdale Since opening ArtsUP in January, 2016, owner Neil Ramsay has invited artists to create and install massive aerial displays, best viewed by leaning back as though gazing at the sky. Ending 2016 […]
Scott Houston: Incarceration Inc.: ” Estrella Jail © Scott Houston I am pleased and honored to share Scott Houston’s insight into the overwhelming subject of the racist mass incarceration of Americans, Incarceration Inc.: Today’s American Slavery. The project features male and female inmates of Estrella Jail… “ (Via acurator.com.)
Thursday, July 13, 2017 @ 7:00pm Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU 301 Washington Avenue Miami Beach, FL 33139 Photo by : Annie Leibovitz, 2000 One morning in 1995, Irene Williams was spotted by Eric Smith, a New York City designer, entrepreneur and founder of E.G. Smith Socks, and they began a friendship that lasted until she […]
“Untitled,” mixed media on paper, 60 x 42 in., © 2017 Currently artist-in-residence, Gerard Caliste, was born in New Orleans Louisiana and currently lives and works in Houston, TX. Gerard’s paintings and works on paper are most often narrative thematic pieces that has its subject matter in the urban setting. “Diaspora Vibe Cultural Arts Incubator (DVCAI) commitment to […]
Miami and south Florida in general, where people take playing dominoes very seriously, dominoes can be thought of playing an Olympic sport. The cracks, pops and slaps of the bones on the table will let you know just how serious this game is. “Spots, Dots, Pips, Tiles: An Exhibition About Dominoes,” curated by Maria Elena […]
Studio Visit: Stephen Arboite Above: Stephen Arboite at his residency at The Fountainhead in Miami. Photo by Onajide Shabaka. Stephen Arboite has just completed a stay at the Fountainhead Residency in Miami, FL, where I arranged to meet him for a studio visit. We discussed many things and came to know the kind of fullness […]
STUDIO VISIT: NADINE HALL Nadine Natalie Hall is originally from Bull Bay, a small coastal community in East Rural, St. Andrew, Jamaica. She completed her Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in Textiles and Fibre Arts at the Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts. She was a recent resident artist at Fountainhead […]
Art Space “Felaspora” exhibition is at Kroma Gallery, a collective art space located on Grand Avenue in the heart of Coconut Grove consisting of 18 artists studios and a communal gallery space. Kroma’s mission is to serve as an affordable, contemporary space for artists whose creative output contributes to connecting the spirits of Coconut Grove’s […]
Above: Grape Drink Box (Anacostia Los Angeles Topeka McKinney), 2017 mixed media on gauze Courtesy Tilton Gallery. Photo by Onajide Shabaka. On Documentary Abstraction at Art Center/South Florida explores the ways contemporary artists are using abstract painting and sculpture to document, discuss and revisualize recent history. Featuring artists Torkwase Dyson, Tomashi Jackson, Richard Ibghy, Marilou […]
What really struck me from my first live viewing of Deborah Roberts collages at the Untitled Art Fair, Miami Art Week, December, 2018, was the reflection of my sister when she was just a young girl. I remember her expressive self and playful attitude from those days. She’s younger than me so those were my […]